1960 in India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|See also:||List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1960 in the Republic of India.(post Independence period)
- President of India – Rajendra Prasad
- Prime Minister of India – Jawaharlal Nehru
- Vice President of India - Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
- Chief Justice of India – Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha
- Assam –
- Bihar –
- Gujarat –
- Karnataka –
- Kerala –
- Madhya Pradesh –
- Maharashtra –
- Odisha –
- Punjab –
- Rajasthan –
- Uttar Pradesh –
- West Bengal –
- 1 May – Gujarat State and Maharashtra State are formed from the State of Bombay as laid down by the States Reorganisation Act.
- 1 May – In India, 1 May is declared as 'Maharashtra Divas', i.e., Maharashtra Day (the same day is also celebrated as 'Kaamgaar Divas', i.e., Workers Day) or 'Gujarat Diwas'.
- 1 May – Yashwantrao Chavan took oath as the 1st Chief Minister of Maharashtra
- 20 June – Maharashtra State Electricity Board formed.
- The ninth amendments of the Constitution of India
Full date unknown
- Air India enters United States with flights to New York.
- Bajaj Auto goes public.
- Goa, Diu and Daman were freed from Portuguese rule and became parts of the Indian federation.
- 2 January – Raman Lamba, cricketer
- 5 February – Maganti Venkateswara Rao, politician and member of parliament from Eluru.
- 1 May – Y. V. Subba Reddy, politician from YSR Congress Party and former member of parliament from Ongole.
- 25 June – Suresh Gopi, actor.
- 11 July – Kumar Gaurav, actor.
- 13 September – Karthik Muthuraman, actor.
- 30 January – J. C. Kumarappa, economist (born 1892).
- 2 February – Jagadguru Swami Sri Bharati Krishna Tirthaji Maharaja, Hindu teacher (born 1884).
- 20 April – Pannalal Ghosh, flute (bānsurī) player and composer (born 1911).
- 27 April – Rajshekhar Basu, writer, chemist and lexicographer (born 1880).